Cycling Victoria's Leading Rider program provides training to individuals keen to effectively lead group rides. Training is designed to teach you the skills and knowledge required to manage cycling groups confidently and improve the safety of the riding experience for both you and the ride participants.
The course covers the following topics:
- Your role as a Leading Rider
- Getting to know your riders
- Communication and leadership skills
- Bunch and rider safety
- Bunch formations (including practical demonstrations)
Leading Rider is aimed at improving levels of safety for cyclists on our roads. While many group rides take place on a regular basis, they are not necessarily led by experienced or qualified cyclists. Leading Rider training is available to people from all walks of life: avid cyclists, club riders, social riders, parents, students, teachers, and anyone with a passion for safe cycling.
People participating in rides led by a Leading Rider will benefit by:
- Participating in welcoming and regular social activity
- Having a qualified leader to provide advice on riding techniques and bike safety
- An increase in bike handling ability
- More knowledge of safe riding practices
- A regular group to ride with
- Option to join a local cycling club or Bicycle User Group (BUG) and make cycling a life-long habit